This healthy whole wheat and oat flour banana bread is made without oil or butter, but so moist and flavourful that you’d never even guess! Perfect for a nourishing snack, dessert or breakfast.
I remember that I used to follow recipes by the letter, measuring every ingredient perfectly and following every detail. But, it has been a long time since then. Now, I like to experiment a lot more in the kitchen and have fun, try new things. In fact, during the last month, I was on a mission to make the best banana bread made from whole wheat flour and oats. I was looking for something healthy, moist and tasty.
Yet, recipes don’t always turn out great the first time. The first try end up being good, but to dry. I gave it another shot, but that time it wasn’t sweet enough. From there, I knew what I had to do to get this sweet and tender banana bread, and I wouldn’t stop trying until I would be truly happy with it.
Fortunately, the third try was the good one. The bread was exactly what I was looking for. It was smooth, moist, sweet, flavorful and healthy! The only problem is that it was gone way too fast!
To make this banana bread healthy and delicious, I used whole wheat flour and oat flour. The recipe is also very low in fat (no oil or butter!) and sweeten with honey! Therefore, you can easily eat a slice (or two) without any guilt!
One last thing. When it comes to banana bread, the key to have this sweet delicious bread is to make sure your bananas are very ripe! The recipe only has 1/2 cup of sugar, so ripe bananas make all the difference. The browner the better!
If your banana are not super ripe (like mine in the picture below) and you don’t want to wait, use the oven! Bake them at low heat (250º F) for about 30 minutes and voila! The heat stimulates the ripening process so you’re left with super soft and sweet bananas.
Feeling creative? Personalize your loaf by sprinkling your favorite topping on top of the batter! You can use a few tablespoons of brown sugar, chocolate chips, bananas or any nuts! It’s gonna make your banana bread even more wow and delicious!
- 1 ½ cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 big bananas)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- optional: brown sugar, chocolate chips, bananas or nut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” × 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the bananas, egg, vanilla, brown sugar, honey and almond milk. Slowly add in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. For even more yumminess, you can sprinkle your favorite topping on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (the toothpick should have a few moist crumbs on in, but no raw batter). Let the bread cool for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices and enjoy!
*You can easily make your own oat flour (that’s what I did). To do it, just add oats in the blender or food processor and blend until you get this fine powder. It should only take a few seconds.
**To make vegan, you can use a flax egg and maple syrup instead of honey!
For a creamy, warm and decadent dessert, heat a slice of banana bread and spread a little butter on top. A true delight!
Make sure to take a photo and share it with me if you try this recipe!