These bran carrot muffins are a great way to use the crumbs at the end of your cereal box and they make a delicious healthy dessert everyone will love !
Are you a cereal kind of person ? Because my sister is. I do enjoy cereals a lot, but I must admit that my sister is the true cereal lover. Therefore, every week means another empty box of cereals, with only the little crumbs left. Oh, but those crumbs are not wasted !
In fact, she eats the cereals and I use the crumbs. I don’t know if you ever notice how amazing the cereal crumbs are, but they are. And for many reasons.
There are so many things you can do with cereal leftovers.
- You eat corn flakes ? Use the crumbs for crusted chicken or cookies.
- You eat rice or cinnamon cereals ? Make cereal bars with it.
- You eat Bran cereals ? Blend them in smoothies or make muffins with them.
- You can also find so many different recipes of cookies, bars and cakes made with cereal crumbs.
Personally, I think bran crumbs are the best, and they make the best muffins ever. So a few months ago, when I found the Carrot Cake Bran Muffins from Amy’s Healthy Baking, I got really inspired ! I absolutely LOVE all her recipes so make sure to go see her blog.
I also like to adapt recipes my own way. So, from there, I create my own carrot bran muffins inspired from that recipe and they were so good !
Ok, it’s not surprising for a girl who loves carrots like me, but seriously, it’s not just about the carrots. These muffins are just so healthy, moist and flavorful. This recipe is seriously filled with good stuff only! Now I can’t stop making this recipe. Oh, and my sister loves them too !
- 1 ½ cup Bran Flakes Crumbs (or any bran cereals)
- 3/4 cup milk (I recommend unsweetened vanilla* almond milk)
- 1/2 cup nonfat vanilla* Greek yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bran crumbs, milk and yogurt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- In the first bowl, add the coconut oil or butter, egg, honey and brown sugar to the bran mixture. Mix in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the shredded carrots.
- Pour batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
*if you do not use vanilla milk or yogurt, I recommend adding 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract to the recipe.
This recipe is adapted from Amy’s Healthy Baking Carrot Cake Bran Muffins.
Did you make the recipe ?
Let me know what you think of it.